How to Choose the Perfect Diet Plan
Millions of people worldwide start up on a diet plan each and every day. Sadly, only a fraction of these ever see the results that they’re looking for. Why? They picked a plan they couldn’t realistically stick with.
One of the most important things that you can do to guarantee that you see weight-loss success is making sure you select the best diet from the start. If you put yourself on a diet that isn’t all that effective, or that has way too many rules, don’t be surprised when your pant size doesn’t budge.
Remember that a great diet, even when it has a high success rate, is not necessarily right for everyone. It’s important that you consider what works for you – not your friend.
Let’s go over some of the most important factors to consider when selecting your diet plan.
- Consider your desired rate of weight loss. The faster you want to lose weight, the more intense the calorie deficit will need to be.
- Think about your natural food preferences. Don’t start up on a diet that has you eating foods you despise. This is a fast way to fall off the bandwagon in less than a week.
- Consider your schedule. Think about how much time you have to invest in meal preparation, and make sure your diet accommodates that.
- Think about your food intolerances. Are you unable to tolerate dairy? Do you have a sensitivity to gluten or tree nuts? Choose a plan that suits your basic needs.
- Consider exercise. How much do you want to work out? Make sure your plan is going to provide sufficient energy and carbohydrates to do so.
- How long do you plan to be on the diet? Make sure to choose a plan that is going to carry you through for the long haul. A 2-week crash course is not going to support long-term success.
- Do you need a flexible meal plan? If you need to adjust your food intake as your day progresses along, find a plan that will help you do this. Do you wish to use supplements? Some plans will call for them, some won’t. Pay attention to this, or you may have to purchase products you don’t want to use.
- Are you male or female? Certain plans are geared toward certain genders due to the difference in hormones and how that affects nutritional requirements and digestion.
- How often do you eat out? Does the plan allow for this?
- Think about how you feel after eating a carbohydrate-dense meal. Do you feel sleepy or full of energy? The answer to this question will help you determine if you’d do better on a lower carb or lower fat diet plan.
The Bottom Line:
Don’t jump onto the first diet you find that promises fast results, or you will be well on your way to frustration and disappointment. Choosing a proper diet can feel overwhelming at times with so many options available; however, if you make smart choices and think things through, you can select one that’s best for your lifestyle, food preferences and general needs.